Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:

> I do. I don't use LVM, so i didn't had neither USE=device-mapper, nor
> DRACUT_MODULES=lvm, so I add them. Then I tried to create my initramfs
> with LVM, and like in your case, it failed. Using the --debug option
> for dracut, it *seems* (it's really verbose and I didn't read
> everything), it seems that it doesn't "find" the lvm module not
> because it's not there, but because I actually don't have any LVM
> volumes.
>
> So I removed the -H option for dracut to stop looking at my host
> status, and lo and behold, it included the LVM module. So please, try
> that.
>
> If it works, then there is two options:
>
> 1. Dracut has a bug that stops it from detecting your host LVM status;
> maybe it only checks the "important" or standard partitions, or maybe
> the checking process itself has a bug.
>
> 2. Your LVM configuration (while it works) it's not "canonically" detectable.
>
> Either case, please try re-creating your dracut initramfs without the
> -H option. I think that's the last problem (the other "problem" was
> that you got scared with the humongous debug output that dracut
> generates with dr.debug), and so we can then finally put this case to
> rest.
>
> Regards.

Not so fast there Tex.  This ain't over but the fat lady may be clearing
her throat.  Riddle me this Batman.  I tried it without the -H.  That
was much better.  No boo boos.  But wait.  This is me you know.  ;-)

When I boot, lvm fails to start.  After it boots to a console and I
login, I can restart lvm and
it works fine.  So, when I boot, the drive that is set up for lvm isn't
working.  It's not a big deal right now but it is about to be when /usr
gets put on lvm.  If I put /usr on lvm, Houston, we have a problem.  May
not boot right at all.

At this point, this fails regardless of the kernel.  I may try some
older kernels in a bit tho.  Also, it no longer matters if I use the
init thingy either.  It fails either way.  Looks like the init thingy is
working, until I break it anyway.  Give me time.  lol

Canek, I know you don't use lvm so, anybody have any ideas?  Maybe a new
thread since this may not be init thingy related.

Well, I rebooted and wrote down the errors then searched a bit.  I found
this:

http://speeves.erikin.com/2012/01/root-your-box-and-mount-lvm-partitions.html

So, it seems that / needs to be mounted rw so that lvm can start.  How
do I fix this you reckon?  Doesn't the init thingy do that or is that
done after the init thingy is done?

<sighs>

Dale

:-)  :-)