Stroller writes:

> Therefore I have created a plain text
> file /etc/profile.d/essential_defaults
[...]
> Yet when I log in, these environment variables are not set.
>
> The file is world-readable (mode 644), and I even tried setting the
> execute bit (`chmod +xxx`).

It needs to be readable by your user, more is not needed.

> If I source the file using `. /etc/profile.d/essential_defaults` then
> suddenly I get the right pager, but it does not seem to be sourced at
> login, as I believe is promised. What am I doing wrong or
> misunderstanding, please?

/etc/profile is sourced for login shells only. That happens when you log
in a text console, but usually not for a graphical terminal. As a KDE
user, I have set my Konsole's profiles to run '/bin/bash -l', this gives
me login shells. For xterm or aterm, you would use the '-ls' option.

        Wonko