On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 12:08 PM, Michael Mol <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 2:43 PM, Mark Knecht <markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 11:19 AM, Mark Knecht <markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 10:56 AM, Michael Orlitzky <mich...@orlitzky.com>
>>> wrote:
>> <SNIP>

>>> I Cannot play the files on my Gentoo box using Linux. No player that
>>> I've tried so far - xine, mplayer, dragon player in KDE - none of them
>>> play these files. However I can play the files within a Win7 VM on
>>> this machine which is what I've been doing this morning so far. I sort
>>> of doubt the DRM restriction on this stuff. The web site asks
>>> subscribers not to farward these to their friends, etc., and says
>>> subscribers are on the honor system. They appears to be simple
>>> recordings of of his screen and audio coming from an inexpensive mic.
>>> Nothing more.
>>>
>>> I just got access to these files today so until this morning I didn't
>>> even know what format they'd be in.
>>
>> Expanding a bit I copied one of the files to a test directory to play
>> with. It seems smplayer will actually play the audio but won't display
>> video. midentify gives some data. When I look at the ffmpeg info it
>> seems to me it's also having trouble with the video portion. At least
>> it seems to understand the audio portion.
>>
>> I'm guessing the pivot point here is the video format code:
>>
>> ID_VIDEO_FORMAT=MSS2
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mark
>>
>> mark@c2stable ~/WMV-Test $ midentify Test1.wmv
>> ID_AUDIO_ID=1
>> ID_VIDEO_ID=2
>> ID_FILENAME=Test1.wmv
>> ID_DEMUXER=asf
>> ID_VIDEO_FORMAT=MSS2
>> ID_VIDEO_BITRATE=4971000
>> ID_VIDEO_WIDTH=1366
>> ID_VIDEO_HEIGHT=740
>> ID_VIDEO_FPS=1000.000
>> ID_VIDEO_ASPECT=0.0000
>> ID_AUDIO_FORMAT=353
>> ID_AUDIO_BITRATE=0
>> ID_AUDIO_RATE=0
>> ID_AUDIO_NCH=0
>> ID_START_TIME=5.00
>> ID_LENGTH=9130.09
>> ID_SEEKABLE=1
>> ID_CHAPTERS=0
>> ID_AUDIO_BITRATE=20008
>> ID_AUDIO_RATE=44100
>> ID_AUDIO_NCH=1
>> ID_AUDIO_CODEC=ffwmav2
>> ID_EXIT=EOF
>> mark@c2stable ~/WMV-Test $
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/WindowsMediaVideo
>
> Videos with the MSS2 FOURCC should be playable with the w32codecs package.
>

> --
> :wq

Notice the (-win32codecs) flag. Seems to me (on this system anyway)
they are hard masked off? I tried adding the flag to package.use but
emerge won't enable the darn thing...

I'll try another system after the market closes and I have some time.

Thanks,
Mark

mark@c2stable ~/WMV-Test $ emerge -pv mplayer

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R    ] media-video/mplayer-1.0_rc4_p20110322-r1  USE="X a52
alsa ass cdio dirac dts dv dvd dvdnav enca encode faac faad gif iconv
jpeg jpeg2k live mad mmx mng mp3 network opengl osdmenu png quicktime
rar real rtc schroedinger sdl shm speex sse sse2 ssse3 theora toolame
tremor truetype twolame unicode vorbis x264 xinerama xscreensaver xv
xvid xvmc -3dnow -3dnowext -aalib (-altivec) -amr (-aqua) -bidi
-bindist -bl -bluray -bs2b -cddb -cdparanoia -cpudetection
-custom-cpuopts -debug -dga -directfb -doc -dvb -dxr3 -fbcon -ftp -ggi
-gsm -ipv6 -jack -joystick -ladspa -libcaca -libmpeg2 -lirc -lzo
-md5sum -mmxext -mpg123 -nas -nut -openal -oss -pnm -pulseaudio -pvr
-radio -rtmp -samba -tga -v4l -vdpau (-vidix) -vpx (-win32codecs)
-xanim -zoran" VIDEO_CARDS="-mga -s3virge -tdfx -vesa" 0 kB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB
mark@c2stable ~/WMV-Test $