On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 2:41 PM, Paul Hartman
<paul.hartman+gen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 3:51 PM, Michael Mol <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 4:46 PM, Paul Hartman
>> <paul.hartman+gen...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> If he is using amd64 he can't use win32codecs unless he uses a 32-bit
>>> mplayer/ffmpeg. AFAIK.
>>
>> Wouldn't using multilib work around this?
>
> I think he would still need to compile a 32-bit mplayer/ffmpeg (in a
> 32-bit chroot) to be able to make use of them. Multilib would let him
> run 32-bit mplayer or ffmpeg binaries (which themselves would be able
> to use the 32-bit DLLs). But I don't think 64-bit mplayer/ffmpeg can
> call 32-bit DLLs.
>
> There is an amd64codecs package containing the 64-bit codecs, but it
> has been masked and made obsolete by the fact that mplayer/ffmpeg can
> natively do most (or all?) of those codecs these days.

And presumably for all the same reasons, if I cannot play them I
cannot convert them.

Ah, a world full of unspecified, proprietary vendor specific file
formats hidden in old dlls... Ain't it a fine world we live in?

Sort of painful to start maintaining a 32-bit chroot just to handle
this sort of thing. I suspect there's some freeware for the Windows
world that might allow me to do the conversion in a VM. I'll start
looking for that. The web site that advertised conversion didn't work
as it bombed out after an hour.

Maybe there's some simple binary install I could do - Fedora or
Ubuntu, etc. - but my concern there is that those binaries might not
play well inside my 64-bit Gentoo environ...

Thanks,
Mark

Thanks,
Mark