On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 7:00 PM, walt <w41...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/03/2012 02:48 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:

>>> Ha! I should have suspected Lennart from the beginning:
>>>
>>> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/commit/?id=231931ffba1bca9d8759bbd6f797e56f8c6971fa
>>
>> The link you posted has nothing to do with this; that's only a
>> systemd-specific change in response to a change in udisks2. In other
>> words, Lennart has nothing to do with this change, the responsible is
>> David Zeuthen, udisks2 maintainer:
>>
>> https://plus.google.com/u/0/110773474140772402317/posts/NqPUifsFUYH
>
> Thanks for the correction.
>
>> And it's actually a pretty reasonable change (IMHO): now in multiseat
>> configurations each user can plug a USB drive and only him/she will
>> see it
>
> I've thought that for a long time.  Mounting my own "personal mount" on
> a system directory never made any sense to me.  However, /run/media is
> still a system directory, so it still doesn't make any sense to me.
>
> I think /home/wa1ter/media is a more logical choice.  But I'm not doing
> the coding in this bazaar ;)
>
> The upstream dev(s) seem intent on mounting removable media on a tempfs
> for some reason.  Do you know why?
>
> I understand completely the reason for inventing /run and making it a
> tempfs (I think Lennart *was* involved in that), but why use /run when
> it's not necessary or (IMHO) logical?

In my completely uninformed guess... a) tmpfs automatically 'cleans
up' every reboot, making sure old folders aren't sitting around stale
even if something did go wrong, and/or b) it's guaranteed writable for
the service that needs to make those mount points. I could probably
come up with a 'c', but I'd likely have to actually do a bit of
reading on the topic before rising looking even more foolishly un-read
on the topic than I already do! :-P

--
Poison [BLX]
Joshua M. Murphy