Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 9. Mai 2012, 03:47:09 schrieb Dale:
>> Hi,
>>
>> As some know, I'm planning to buy me a LARGE hard drive to put all my
>> videos on, eventually.  The prices are coming down now.  I keep seeing
>> these "green" drives that are made by just about every company nowadays.
>>  When comparing them to a non "green" drive, do they hold up as good?
>> Are they as dependable as a plain drive?  I guess they are more
>> efficient and I get that but do they break quicker, more often or no
>> difference?
>>
>> I have noticed that they tend to spin slower and are cheaper.  That much
>> I have figured out.  Other than that, I can't see any other difference.
>>  Data speeds seem to be about the same.
>>
>> Please, no brand wars.  I may get a WD, Maxtor, Samsung or some other
>> brand.  I haven't picked that part yet.  So far, I have had good luck
>> with drives.  I think I have one doorstop so far.  I have at least one
>> of each of the brands above too.  Don't jinx me.  I'm sure someone has a
>> horror story about some brand.
>>
>> Thanks much.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-)  :-)
>
> samsung here. Put that beast into an esata case. Sometimes I forget to turn
> it
> off, because it is so silent. And cool. The others should be similar. They
> are
> slower, yes, but fast enough to watch video.
>
> 7200 for stuff that needs some speed.
> 5400 for video and backups.
>
> just fine.

My videos and such is on a Samsung 750Gb drive now.  I'm pretty sure it
is a 7200rpm drive tho.  My whole system is quiet.  I have a Cooler
Master HAF-932 case with those LARGE fans and you can't hear anything.
Even if I cut everything else off in this room, I can't hear the system
at all.  Let's keep in mind that I am getting older tho.  ;-)

One reason I am considering the green drives is that I can buy a larger
drive for about the same price.  I use LVM so I added a 250Gb drive to
the 750Gb to get 1Tb.  Thing is, I'll have that full to before to long.
 I need to go ahead and get a large drive.  Even a 2Tb drive will be
about half full if I transfer it all over.  Of course I'm keeping the
750Gb to tho.  Here is where I am with all drives in use.

/dev/mapper/data-data1  923G  619G  297G  68% /data

I start looking when I get to about 70% and by 85%, I want some hardware
or a plan to move things around or something.

Dale

:-)  :-)

how you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output?  Hint: