On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 6:42 PM, Matthew Finkel
<matthew.fin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Michael Mol <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 5:10 PM, Matthew Finkel
>> <matthew.fin...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > I'm not holding my breath. There will always be a divide for the power
>> > users. A single, under-powered interface isn't going to cut it for a lot
>> > of
>> > us. X provides us with the flexibility that isn't available with the
>> > mobile
>> > interface.
>>
>> Even in the Microsoft world, I can't easily imagine them ditching the
>> old UI paradigm for their Windows Server products. They've come a long
>> way in making Windows CLI-friendly (see PowerShell), but they haven't
>> yet (AFAIK) provided a good mechanism for remote CLI access.
>

> True, and they've been working "hard" to get it to the state it is in now.
> In many cases, sys admins have had to unlearn relying on their mouse
> for complete power. The CLI provides options that are, obviously, very
> difficult
> to express in a simple GUI (I know I'm preaching to the choir). Powershell
> has
> made huge progress in this respect, but it still has a long way to go in
> order to
> compete with what we have. And I doubt the server environment would ever
> become stripped down to the state we're talking about.

Actually, they're there as of Windows Server 2008. It's called
"Windows Server 2008 Core". According to "Windows Server 2008: The
Definitive Guide", you log into one of these systems and all you get
(by default) is a terminal window with an instance of cmd.exe. It goes
on to list seven server roles this configuration supports:

* Active Directory and Active Directory Lightweight Domain Services (LDS)
* DHCP Server
* DNS Server
* File Services (including DFSR and NFS)
* Print Services
* Streaming Media Services
* Windows Server Virtualization

(Curiously, one of the things you _can't_ do is run Managed Code.)

>> Not that they won't be able to bolt one in easily enough; CSRSS means
>> they should be able to provide, e.g. an SSH daemon, give the
>> connecting user a PowerShell login session[1], and give it equal
>> privileges and security controls as they have for any other login
>> session.
>
> How many years have they had? I'd given up on this years ago.

SFU is available in the "Server Core" configuration. I imagine you
could run OpenSSH under there. Or some commercial entity could come
along and provide an SSH+screen(ish) component to snap into the CSRSS
framework.

--
:wq