On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 9:03 PM, Matthew Finkel <matthew.fin...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 2:04 AM, Allan Gottlieb <gottl...@nyu.edu> wrote:
>
>> I just purchased a new smartphone (samsung galaxy S III), which runs
>> android ice cream sandwitch 4.0.4).  I would like to copy files
>> to and from the phone.  The phone manual describes how to do this for
>> windows (nothing needed) and Mac (a program to download), but not for
>> gnu-linux.  Apparently the phone supports MTP (media transfer protocol)
>> and PTP (picture transfer protocol)
>>
>> I did some googling and there are a number of comments but no clear
>> recommendations.  Has anyone here performed file transfer
>> gentoo <--> samsung S3.
>>
>> I run amd64, but I don't think that is very relevant.
>>
>> Just mounting or ftp would be enough; I really just want to move some
>> files.
>>

> You should be able to mount it without any problems. I have ICS on my
> Nexus S and the only requirement to mounting the phone as a USB device is
> to toggle the USB Mass Storage option (it should show up in the
> notification bar). On my phone, the usb storage  uses ext4 (IIRC), so
> drivers for this aren't an problem. Once the setting is toggled, it's
> automatically assigned a device mapping and it's usable as a normal USB
> drive from there.

That does not work on the S3 because i believe it is basically one
partition unlike the Nexus S which has a separate partition for internal
storage.

 I have used mtpfs in Android 3.0 on my gentoo system and found it slow and
unreliable. A lot might of changed in the last 6 months with mtpfs though
so try it and see how it works.

You could use a program for android called "adb" but its slow at pushing
files so if they are gonna be videos i would stay away.

And the way i do it on my Galaxy nexus is use dropbox. Move to dropbox
folder than download form the dropbox app on the phone. Not the best but
its easiest for me.