On Thu, Jul 19 2012, Neil Bothwick wrote:

> However, I've also found all the mtp options in portage to be unreliable,
> so I run QuickSSHd on the phone and transfer files with scp or mount the
> phone with sshfs.

First let me thank everyone for all the great suggestions.  I will be
trying them out.

I started with quicksshd since (I like to believe) I understand ssh.

I have moved a picture and some songs from my laptop to the appropriate
directories on the phone.  Currently after I do the sftp using the gnome
file manager (I will try straight scp soon), the picture and songs
didn't appear until I reboot the phone.  Is there a better way?

thanks again to all.
allan