On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 11:45 AM, Helmut Jarausch
<jarau...@igpm.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Garmin GPS with a 32GB SD card.
> If I attach my device to the USB port, a directory listing looks totally
> scrambled.
> A listing of the smaller (2GB) 'internal' storage device is just fine.
> And I am sure the listing of the bigger SD card has been fine earlier
> when less storage was used.
>
> The funny thing, looking at the same SD card from Windows7 (running in
> VirtualBox)
> gives a perfect listing (about 28 GB are used).
>
> What am I missing?
>
> Many thanks for a hint,
> Helmut.

My first guess is FAT corruption (maybe windows reads second copy of
FAT?). Maybe try to do chkdsk from windows, or make a backup first
from there anyway. :)

My second guess is character encoding differences, but usually it
would not be so extreme. I mount vfat with options
codepage=437,iocharset=utf8 and it seems to usually give me proper
results for "international" filenames (although mount warns me every
time that this is unwise).