On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 9:45 AM, Helmut Jarausch
<jarau...@igpm.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Garmin GPS with a 32GB SD card.
> If I attach my device to the USB port, a directory listing looks totally
> scrambled.
> A listing of the smaller (2GB) 'internal' storage device is just fine.
> And I am sure the listing of the bigger SD card has been fine earlier
> when less storage was used.
>
> The funny thing, looking at the same SD card from Windows7 (running in
> VirtualBox)
> gives a perfect listing (about 28 GB are used).
>
> What am I missing?
>
> Many thanks for a hint,
> Helmut.

Hi Helmut,
   Sorry for the problems. No real good ideas here, but assuming the
Win 7 VM is on the same Gentoo machine then it appears to be something
missing from Gentoo. I'd start by using the Win 7 disk tools:

Control Panel -> System & Security -> Create & format hard disk partitions

and look to see what Win 7 believes it's talking to.

   Also, make sure if you have the VM running that it isn't
automatically mounting the Garmin which would make the SD unavailable
to Linux. Handle that in the Virtualbox->Device menu.

   Best of luck. Sounds like an interesting problem, if that's possible.

Cheers,
Mark