On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 9:19 PM, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 4 or 5 hours huh.  I guess drives are a lot faster now.  Back in the
> late 80's or early 90's, it took that long for those whimpy little 100Mb
> drives.  Ooops, my ages is showing again.  lol

I recently found a box of hard drives in my house and have been using
ddrescue to pull the data off of them. These drives were not that old,
around 1gb each. Desktop drives. I was amazed at how slow they were
relative to today's drives... 2MB/sec? 5MB/sec? My internet connection
is faster than that now.

Also, found a dead 5.25" Quantum hard drive... forgot how huge those
are. Weighed a ton and it was built like a tank.

Your new drive will probably go around 100-150MB/sec or so on
sequential writes. So you can do the math and figure out how many
hours that will take.