Paul Hartman wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 9:19 PM, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 4 or 5 hours huh.  I guess drives are a lot faster now.  Back in the
>> late 80's or early 90's, it took that long for those whimpy little 100Mb
>> drives.  Ooops, my ages is showing again.  lol
> I recently found a box of hard drives in my house and have been using
> ddrescue to pull the data off of them. These drives were not that old,
> around 1gb each. Desktop drives. I was amazed at how slow they were
> relative to today's drives... 2MB/sec? 5MB/sec? My internet connection
> is faster than that now.
>
> Also, found a dead 5.25" Quantum hard drive... forgot how huge those
> are. Weighed a ton and it was built like a tank.
>
> Your new drive will probably go around 100-150MB/sec or so on
> sequential writes. So you can do the math and figure out how many
> hours that will take.

It won't be that fast.  The drive supports 6Gbs/sec but my mobo is only
3Gbs/sec.  I hope to upgrade my mobo at some point.  Then maybe the ram
and CPU.  I been looking at those 8 core CPUs a bit.  The prices are
coming down slowly.

Anyway, I'll only get the 3Gbs/sec for now.

I used to have a couple of those really old 14 inch hard drives.  I
think I sold them for scrap a few years ago.  They were mostly aluminium
if I recall correctly.  They were only a few megabytes but they sure was
big.

Our age is showing.  lol  I bet folks know I am not a teenager now.  ;-)

Dale

:-)  :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how
you interpreted my words!