On 08/31/12 02:16, James wrote:
Andrew Lowe <agl <at> wht.com.au> writes:

        Anyone got any suggestions for a lightweight server distro for an old
motherboard? I've got one of the VIA mini-ITX boards, SP13000, and want
to whack something light onto it. It will be working as a file/media
server and will be headless, hence will be fiddled via ssh. Obviously
there are the usual suspects, debian, centos, but does anyone have any
recommendations viv a vis a stripped down distro, sort of like Lubuntu
is to Ubuntu?

embedded gentoo is way cool! and very cutting edge.

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/handbook/

gentoo-embed...@lists.gentoo.org
is where to join and post your questions.

Otherwise, for performance reasons, I'd go with open-embedded.

hth,
James

Thanks all for the suggestions. I ended up caving and going Gentoo again. I remembered that the original install, which took ages to "emerge world", had freevo, mysql, X, subversion and a lot of other stuff. This time it's just nzbget and file serving. The thought of "learning" another distro also didn't exactly excite me so it was back to familiar territory.

        Andrew