Am Sun, 02 Sep 2012 05:47:07 -0400
schrieb cov...@ccs.covici.com:

> Nikos Chantziaras <rea...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 02/09/12 03:23, cov...@ccs.covici.com wrote:
> > > Hi.  I am using unstable gentoo and  using mplayer at the text console.
> > > When playing an mp3 file, I often get the following error:
> > > mpg123 decoding failed: No stream opened. (code 24)
> > >
> > > Any ideas on what causes this and/or how to fix?  It would be nice not
> > > to depend on mpg123 at all -- is this possible?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
> >
> > Try enabling the "mad" USE flag for mplayer.  This should then use
> > libmad for MP3 decoding.  I think.
>
> Thanks for your response -- mad is already enabled, but mpg123 is being
> used.

I happen to have also had vaguely similar problems. Here is what is in my
mplayer config (I use mplayer2 though):

  # mplayer2 stupidly tries to use the bundled mp3lib, which Gentoo removes
  [extension.mp3]
  afm=mpg123

But the same principle can be used to force mplayer to use libmad, to see if
that works. Or maybe mplayer1 also has the same problem as mplayer2 now?

HTH
--
Marc Joliet
don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup