On 02/09/12 18:39, cov...@ccs.covici.com wrote:
Nikos Chantziaras <rea...@gmail.com> wrote:

The solution is simple.  Use "mad -mp3" as USE flags for
mplayer.  I just did the same and mplayer now only uses libmad to play
MP3s.
 [...]

Thanks much  -- it seems to be working now.  I had never heard of the
mad before -- learn something new every day.  This list is very nice and
helpful.

The MAD decoder was actually always well known for its very high accuracy in decoding. But I suppose other decoders finally catched up to it, so these days I suppose mpg123 might offer the same quality as MAD. Not that anyone tested though (as far as I'm aware.)