On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 2:46 PM, Chris Stankevitz
<chrisstankev...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Gentoo is the best distribution I have used (I haven't used too many:
> ubuntu, fedora, gentoo).  I love the USE flags.  I love watching (and
> questioning) what is going to be installed.  I love emerge.
> Supposedly gentoo lacks being able to have a system "just work"
> without thinking about anything.  But in my experience on linux, this
> simply isn't the case anywhere.  With ubuntu, for example, I had
> trouble with sound and ethernet cards that I could never figure out...
> and the kind of answers I get on their forums drive me insane ("my
> uncle once said that his cousin typed this magical command and it
> worked fine for a little while so maybe try that").
>
> And what's the deal with these "major release versions" of the other
> distros?  Why do that?
>
> Thank you to all the people who contribute to it... and to those who
> are giving great advice/solutions on this list!
>
> Chris

Like Paul and many others I've never looked back. I'm no power user,
and contrary to a lot of the press out there I don't think you need to
be to use this distro. Just be careful and red a bit. I've been
helping a long time trading partner friend of mine with his move to
Gentoo over the last year. He's hardly using native Windows anymore.
He just runs a bunch of VMs like I do.

Don't go doing anything crazy with your use flags. Yeah, they are
cool, but my experience, especially in the beginning, is that less is
more. I only have about 10 in make.conf on any of the 10 or so
machines we have in our family now. I add a few in package.use when
I'm forced to. Other than that KISS.

Good luck & welcome to the family.

Cheers,
Mark