Michael Mol wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 2:26 PM, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Michael Mol wrote:
>>> Although I do believe you need to remove the CONFIG_ prefix before you
>>> search.
>>>
>> Also, there are also other options that must be turned on for it to show
>> up.  I had to enable other things before I could find it in the menu.
>> This is another reason I asked the question on whether it is really
>> needed or not.  It wasn't just one thing I had to enable but a couple
>> other things too.  I'm still not sure I need either of those but . . .
> You do, for the same reason you need electricity; you may not use
> electricity directly, but something you use does.
>
> Similarly, you may not need this config option, but something you use
> does (or something you use uses something you use which does).
>
> Further, the config option won't be available unless all of the things
> _it_ uses are enabled. So, if this config option X isn't available
> because it needs config option Y, you need config option Y, because
> you need config option X, because you need udisks, because you need
> something which needs udisks.
>
> So if some option X says "don't enable this unless you need it", and
> you need some option Z, which says it needs option X, then, yes, you
> need option X, because you need option Z.
>
> This is what Volker meant when he said that there was no 'unsure' at
> play. Since you're sure you want udisk (because you installed it),
> then, logically following, you're sure you want whatever udisk depends
> on. (Either that, or you're not being logical. ^^ )

But, I was still unsure.  If it wants me to enable the option for
battery monitoring, do I do that too?  I don't have any batteries but it
wants the option enabled so to use your logic, I must need it because it
asks for it even tho I don't use it and can't use it.  As I posted
earlier, I have no plan to use this so how can my system use it when I
have nothing here to use it?  One example in another reply was to use
the keyboard as a power switch.  I have a old style keyboard that
doesn't have all those extra keys.  I'm not sure I could use my keyboard
to turn on my system given it is the old style.  So, if that is one
example of what that is used for, then that is likely to never happen.
My system isn't capable of using it regardless of the fact it wants the
option.  Enabling the option in the kernel does not give me a new
keyboard.  ^_^

Logic works most of the time but not all the time.  I don't feel that I
need any of these options.  Since the package completed its compile
without it, I apparently have the option to leave it out.  Thing is, I
didn't know what it is for and whether I should enable it so I was
"unsure" about the option.

I did enable it but only because it isn't going to be something that
borks my system, unlike trying to monitor batteries that don't exist.  LOL

Dale

:-)  :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how
you interpreted my words!