Felix Kuperjans wrote:
> Dale wrote:
>> Howdy,
>>
>> I was doing a update a while back and noticed a ewarn, enotice or
>> something going by. I used the elogviewer to go back and dig it out.
>> This is what it says:
>>
>> Found sources for kernel version:
>> 3.5.0-gentoo
>> Checking for suitable kernel configuration options...
>> ERROR (setup)
>>
>> CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND: is not set when it should be.
>> WARN (setup)
> udisks will work without that, but if you try to safely unplug a USB
> stick or other USB storage device, an error will occur because udisks is
> unable to power off the device before unplugging.
> The option is not required for its essential functionality, but it's
> definitely useful and does not add any big overhead to the kernel, so I
> always enable it and would recommend enabling it unless you have a
> strong reason not to set it.

Ahhh, this was helpful info.  I do use sticks but right now that is the
only storage thing I use on my system.  Everything else is printer,
camera etc etc.  So, this will 'improve' how a USB stick works too.  Neat.

>> Please check to make sure these options are set correctly.
>> Failure to do so may cause unexpected problems.
>>
>> So, I go into the kernel's menuconfig and find this:
>>
>> │ CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND: │
>> │ │
>> │ If you say Y here, you can use driver calls or the sysfs │
>> │ "power/control" file to enable or disable autosuspend for │
>> │ individual USB peripherals (see │
>> │ Documentation/usb/power-management.txt for more details). │
>> │ │
>> │ Also, USB "remote wakeup" signaling is supported, whereby some │
>> │ USB devices (like keyboards and network adapters) can wake up │
>> │ their parent hub. That wakeup cascades up the USB tree, and │
>> │ could wake the system from states like suspend-to-RAM. │
>> │ │
>> │ If you are unsure about this, say N here. │
> This message is on a lot of important stuff, it just means you will be
> able to use USB (at least on *some* machines) without enabling it.
> As soon as you have any reason to set it or know what it does, this
> recommendation is superfluous. Only take care if the help message says
> something like:
> * This is usually not needed, so if unsure, say no
> * This is highly experimental, ...
> * only set this as module ...
> * Do not enable unless ...
> In such cases, you should be sure what you are doing and usually no
> ebuild would require options like that.

Yea, I just didn't know what it was for so I went with the unsure part.
Generally, if I am unsure, I leave it out.  Thing is, I had a package
that hinted it would like to have it.  Hence the question about what
this was and such.  I wanted to take the 'un' out of unsure.  lol

>> │ │
>> │ Symbol: USB_SUSPEND [=n] │
>> │ Type : boolean │
>> │ Prompt: USB runtime power management (autosuspend) and wakeup │
>> │ Defined at drivers/usb/core/Kconfig:41 │
>> │ Depends on: USB_SUPPORT [=y] && USB [=y] && PM_RUNTIME [=y] │
>> │ Location: │
>> │ -> Device Drivers │
>> │ -> USB support (USB_SUPPORT [=y]) │
>> │ -> Support for Host-side USB (USB [=y])
>>
>> The important part is about 'if you are unsure about this, say N here'.
>> Well, I don't think I need USB remote wakeup or anything so I don't
>> think I need this but at the same time, udisk is giving me notice that
>> it should be there.
>>
>> This is a desktop system not a laptop. Do I need to listen to me not
>> needing it or udisk that says I do?
> This option is only USB relevant and can be used on any laptop / desktop
> system / whatever with USB support.

I got that now.  The info above helped on that one.

>> Opinions?
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-) :-)
>>
>> P. S. The only things I have USB right now is my printer and a camera. I
>> may have a UPS added to that when I get around to rebooting again. I'm
>> not sure on how I will end up connecting it yet.
> In case you have no USB sticks and never want to use any USB storage
> device, you won't need udisks at all, try disabling the "udisks" USE
> flags on your desktop packages (esp. gvfs).
>
> Regards,
> Felix

I do plan to get a external USB drive one of these days.  So, it is
enabled and I'm now 'sure' about it.  ;-)   You applied power to my
light bulb.

Dale

:-)  :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how
you interpreted my words!