This was my thread right before switching to lxde

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-928750-start-0.html

i assume that everything is correct in my system.

sometimes i use the one driver, sometimes the other.
both have advantages against the other one, but gnome3 experience is
always HELL.

(fglrx wasnt working at all for months with gnome shell) dont know if
this is fixed already....