Bruce Hill <daddy <at> happypenguincomputers.com> writes:

> Wish my Samsung Galaxy S could have it's piece of crap Android system replaced
> by arm-linux -- if not it will drive me back to an iPhone.

Your problem defined:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/05/03/yep-its-pretty-likely-the-galaxy-s-iii-wont-have-a-quad-core-processor-in-the-us/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exynos_(system_on_chip)

Dev board:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/26/samsung-launches-arndale-community-board/

Now go find  embedded (gentoo?) Linux developers that have or are working
on a port to the Arm15.

On this page:
http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/developer/machines/

Look at entry: 3825

 All you really got to do is buy a dev board and give it to either
Armin76 or Vapier; they'll get embedded gentoo on that puppy and
figure out how to hack your Galaxy S-III. It's on my todo list.

http://armin762.wordpress.com/
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/

gentoo.embedded is your friend!

Good hunting. post back and I'll get a dev board too!