On Dec 13, 2012 12:10 PM, "Alan McKinnon" <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 11:26:02 -0600
> Bruce Hill <da...@happypenguincomputers.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 05:05:30PM +0000, James wrote:
> > >
> > > Alan, one of the keenest reasons ARM is dominating
> > > NOW, is that in the early 1990 one person, helped
> > > many fledling embedded linux hacks get embedded
> > > linux running on many different flavors of ARM
> > > processors.
> > >
> > > RUSSELL is KING, and imho is the predominant
> > > reason today, a decade later, that ARM dominates
> > > the embedded space. Just look at the vintage
> > > embedded linux ports to hundreds of boards that
> > > mostly impoverished little companies built
> > > and ONE MAN stood in the gap for them all to
> > > realize their dreams:
> > >
> > > http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/developer/machines/
> > >
> > > Intel and the rest wanted everyone to purchase expensive
> > > dev board, licensed embedded RTOSes, and binaries
> > > for most add on hardware. A prospect that precluded
> > > the little companies from fair competition.
> > >
> > > RUSSELL KING should be wealthy and on the Board
> > > of directors for ARM ltd. for his unselfish
> > > and heroic efforts! More than anyone else, he
> > > made arm-linux a doable for thousands of companies
> > > back when the embedded world did not think much
> > > of linux nor embedded linux. (I know I hacked on a
> > > few of those old projects)....
> > >
> > > Intel has nothing but a bunch of blood sucking
> > > lawyers and assholes that think they are better
> > > than the rest of us; and they shall fall!

> > > My most sincerest hope is that we take the embedded
> > > gentoo efforts from the the embedded gentoo handbook,
> > > and integrate them into the regular Gentoo handbook.
> > > The distro that does this will be king of the distros!
> > >
> > > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/handbook/
> > >
> > > peace,
> > > James
> >
> > ack for Russell King
>
> +1 to that too.
>
> I'd also like to tip my hat to ARM itself - their licensing conditions
> to build cores seems very reasonable and a good deal for a
> manufacturer, all bases covered.
>
> It's nice to see a chip designer not falling into the intel trap of
> trying to rape every customer for every last cent they have!

Don't get me started on that...

I hate them for 'selectively' making CPU Features available. In my previous
company, we more than once have to send back newly-purchased PCs because
apparently the model we ordered had an 'upgrade', yet the *newer* CPU
doesn't support VT-x.

Such thing never happen with AMD Desktop CPUs.

That's why my next home rig will be AMD-based.

Rgds,