On Wed, 19 Dec 2012 19:42:01 +0100
Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerar...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> with redhat's push to move everything into /usr - why not stop right
> there and move everything back into /?
>
> seperate /home, /var, /dev and /tmp makes sense (not counting proc,
> sys for obvious reasons). But the rest? Why /usr/lib? Just /lib
> would be fine. Remember how once there was a whole X11 subtree
> in /usr? /usr/tmp - wtf? Just empty /usr and be happy...
>
> I wish I could do that...

Well at least you don't have to put up with /usr/X11 anymore :-)

That took ripping out the entire XFree86 build system and replacing it
with something at least half-way sane that supported --prefix

I'm not too concerned with modern /usr on the whole, the layout is
something I can tolerate.

What *really* gets my goat up is /var/lib. Now what on this earth
could /var/lib/ possibly be useful for???? Surely not libs, those go
in /usr/lib or /lib. If it's variable data somehow related to libs
then someone needs to look up lib in a dictionary.

If it really is lib code, then my question is "how exactly is this
stuff variable to warrant being in /var?"

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com