Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 12:00 PM, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> <SNIP>
>> The problems with that is these:  It worked ALL these years, why should
>> it not now?  I have / on a traditional partition which is not going to
>> resize easily.  If I put / on LVM, I need a init thingy.  I don't want a
>> init thingy
> Is that really true? Do you _really_ care whether an 'init thingy' exists
> on your system, or is this energy about it really based in something else?
>
> I'm just not understanding the resistance so I'm curious.
>
> I don't like, really don't like, the work that currently goes into making
> my 'init thingy' work. All the Gentoo docs about creating hierarchies by
> hand and populating them with files and then compressing it. All that
> drives me nuts. It should be 100% automatic, and probably is with the
> right tools which I haven't found.
>
> But I'm not understanding why you are so against it in totality. It would
> be one thing to say that it's too much work. That I understand, but not
> wanting one seems a bit overboard to me...
>
> - Mark

One of the reasons I left Mandriva was because of the init thingy.  If I
wanted one and liked having one, I would have never switched to Gentoo.
The init thingy was not the only reason but it was one of them.  The
reason I do not want one is because it adds one more point of failure.
In my past experience, it failed me a lot on Mandriva.  I don't want to
go backwards to failure.  I want to keep moving forward, which is why I
chose Gentoo, no init thingy needed unless you put / on something like
LVM or encrypt it or something.  That is why I put everything but /boot
and / on LVM here, to avoid having to use a init thingy.  I have done a
lot to avoid that thing then it turns out, someone is trying to push it
on me anyway.

If I am forced to use a init thingy, the first time it fails and I can't
fix it, I'm moving to something else.  If I want a broken init thingy, I
can find something else that suites my needs.  I've said it before, I
love Gentoo but I'm not going to reinstall or otherwise spend hours
trying to fix something that I shouldn't need to to begin with and never
needed before.  Just saying.  ;-)

Dale

:-)  :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how
you interpreted my words!