Bruce Hill wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 06:29:07PM -0600, »Q« wrote:
>> On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 17:04:13 -0600
>> Bruce Hill <da...@happypenguincomputers.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Gentoo had mkinitrd once upon a time, but it's now in attic.
>>> Somewhere, sometime, for some reason, initramfs (inital ram
>>> filesystem) became vogue for the Gentoo camp, rather than initrd
>>> (initial ram disk image), and mkinitrd got retired.
>> Is there Gentoo documentation for creating initramfs without using
>> dracut?  I could only find documentation for doing it *with* dracut,
>> and that procedure required using genkernel.  Surely Gentoo must have
>> an initramfs guide for non-genkernel users, but I couldn't find one.
> Do you understand that initrd.gz and initramfs are *not* the same thing?

Don't they sort of *do* the same thing?  Different method but still a
boot up helper thingy.  This is why I started calling them init thingy.
There are a few init thingys and I just lump them all together since
they sort of serve the same function but in a different way.

Feel free to set me straight tho.  As long as you don't tell me my
system is broken and has not been able to boot for the last 9 years
without one of those things.  ROFL

Dale

:-)  :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how
you interpreted my words!