On Tuesday 30 August 2005 15:51, Holly Bostick wrote:
> bshlists schreef:
> > Using all the suggestions on this thread I was able to get
> > gensplash up and running.  I however have one small problem  the
> > bootsplash come up some 1/3 the way through the bootup process.
> > Now I remember seeing somewhere a change to a config file which
> > would change when the bootsplash started.
> >
> > I'd appreciate it if someone would remind me how to do this.
>
> Afaik, it's not a change to a config file, it's a change in the way
> you generate the initramfs.
>
> If you compile it into the kernel (instructions on the Wiki; see
> How-to fbsplash), it will start up at the very start.
>
> If you load it as a separate initrd, you have to wait for the
> framebuffer to initialize before the splash can start (which takes a
> short while).
>
> Naturally, if you change from loading an initrd to compiling the
> initrd into the kernel, you do have to change a config file
> (grub.conf, to remove the initrd= line, since you no longer have
> one), but changing the file alone won't make any difference if you
> haven't changed the way you create the initrd in the first place.

I have two 2.6.12-r9 kernels ATM one which has framebuffer splash on all
ttys and the other which only has boot splash.
The bootsplash one starts after the udev message and the other one
starts after the initial uncompressing kernel message (which IIRC is
when the framebuffer starts, for sure its when the console changes to
1024x768 on this box)
As far as I know the .config files were the same apart from the fbsplash
support.
(can't check now as I've been kernel compiling to test some new scsi
hardware:-( and forgot to save the old .config )
If this is not very clear, both kernels have framebuffers, one has
bootsplash, and the other has bootsplash and pretty pictures on tty1-6.
the initrd is the same in both cases, not in the kernel.
Wonderful are the ways of splash.
Tony Davison
[EMAIL PROTECTED]