On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 6:15 PM, Florian Philipp <li...@binarywings.net> wrote:
> Hi list!
>
> Quick question: If I deactivate the kmod use flag in udev and keep
> sys-apps/module-init-tools, does udev still load modules or is kmod a
> required flag for that?

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think so. The git repository has not a
single instance of the strings "modprobe" or "insmod", apparently the
only way to load modules in udev is to use kmod. I think the kmod
configure option (which is the one the USE flag activate/deactivate),
is for systems where all the modules are built-in, like embedded ones.

Unless udev has no other means to load modules, I think disabling kmod
assumes then that all the modules are built-in. And if you use
modules, may I ask why you would prefer module-init-tools over kmod?
Specially when the later is a drop-in, better supported replacement?

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México