Am 27.01.2013 22:01, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
> On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 4:30 AM, Florian Philipp <li...@binarywings.net>
> wrote:
>> Am 27.01.2013 03:24, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:

>>> I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think so. The git repository has not a
>>> single instance of the strings "modprobe" or "insmod", apparently the
>>> only way to load modules in udev is to use kmod. I think the kmod
>>> configure option (which is the one the USE flag activate/deactivate),
>>> is for systems where all the modules are built-in, like embedded ones.
>>>

>> Okay. I thought I've heard about some dev patching udev to work with
>> modprobe at one point. Could be mistaken or outdated, though.
>
> The patches in the ebuild don't include anything to use modprobe:
>
> http://dev.gentoo.org/~williamh/dist/udev-197-patches-1.tar.bz2

Thanks for looking!

>>> Unless udev has no other means to load modules, I think disabling kmod
>>> assumes then that all the modules are built-in. And if you use
>>> modules, may I ask why you would prefer module-init-tools over kmod?
>>> Specially when the later is a drop-in, better supported replacement?
>>>

>> Is it really a drop-in? I was under the impression that for example
>> `modprobe -l` is not implemented (mentioned in a comment on the eudev
>> fork on LWN). I guess that's outdated as well.
>
> No, modprobe -l is not supported, but it's trivially to emulate, and
> the option was already deprecated in module-init-tools. From the kmod
> README:
>
> "kmod-modprobe gained several features to be a 1:1 replacement for
> modprobe. The only missing things are the options '--showconfig' and
> '-t / -l'. These last ones have been deprecated long ago and they will
> be removed from modprobe. A lot of effort has been put on
> kmod-modprobe to ensure it maintains compabitility with modprobe."
>
> As you yourself commented, using an alias with find more than enough.
>
> Regards.

Yeah, easy enough when you know your way around shell scripts and know
where to look. In my opinion, it is still kind of stupid to remove a
useful feature with no replacement.

Hmm, maybe it's time to write a better replacement. Something more like
eix, just for modules ...

Regards,
Florian Philipp