On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 3:08 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger <li...@xunil.at> wrote:
> Am 28.01.2013 20:34, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
>
>> My gdm USE-flags are:
>>
>> [ebuild   R   ~] gnome-base/gdm-3.6.2  USE="audit fallback gnome-shell
>> introspection ipv6 ldap plymouth systemd tcpd -accessibility
>> -consolekit -debug -fprint (-selinux) -smartcard {-test} -xinerama" 0
>> kB
>>
>> The service file is the one the package provides. I have gdm.service
>> as display-manager.service:
>>
>> # ls -l /etc/systemd/system/display-manager.service
>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 37 Oct 13 16:48
>> /etc/systemd/system/display-manager.service ->
>> /usr/lib64/systemd/system/gdm.service
>>
>> Nothing else, AFAICS.
>
> Thanks. Same here, afaik.
>
> I now get gdm up but I get thrown back after entering my (correct) password.
>
> with xdm.service I am able to start gnome.
>
> Do I have to take special care of polkit/consolekit/pam/whatever?

Yes, we had a long thread about that some months ago, around November.
Basically, there is lots of stuff that break if you mix up consolekit
and systemd (logind, actually). Maybe the situation has improved, but
in my case the simplest solution was to purge consolekit from my
systems (except in my media center, XBMC still uses its d-bus
interfaces). ConsoleKit is unmantained anyway.

I have USE="-consolekit" where necessary (basically gdm, pambase and
bluez), and USE="systemd" everywhere else. Please note that some
packages need to unmask the systemd flag:

# cat /etc/portage/profile/package.use.mask
media-sound/pulseaudio                  -systemd
net-misc/networkmanager                 -systemd
sys-auth/polkit                         -systemd
sys-fs/udisks                           -systemd
sys-power/upower                        -systemd

I believe polkit is the most important, since it's the one controlling
what program can do what, but since I switched completely to systemd
years ago, I just use it everywhere. Things "just work"  most of the
time.

> Thanks, Stefan
>
> ps: my bigger hurdle will be the bridging-setup for running
> KVM-virtualization. This was one of the reasons to go back to openrc
> back then.

I have no experience with that, but if it works in OpenRC it should
work in systemd. Probably better, even.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés