El 30/ago/2005 a las 22:36 -0300, Holly me decĂ­a:
> Normally what one would do is place all modified ebuilds in your
> PORTDIR_OVERLAY ...

Thank you very much. You should take advice from Nick and make it a howto. I'm
surely going to translate to spanish and put it in my blog, maybe i would add
something if i get to make it work ;)

I can't make it work but it's after 2 AM and maybe i just need to read some
docs.

ebuild says:

# ebuild /usr/local/portage/mail-client/mutt/mutt-conan-1.5.8-r2.ebuild digest
!!! aux_get(): ebuild path for 'mail-client/mutt-conan-1.5.8-r2' not specified:
!!!            None
!!! aux_get(): ebuild path for 'mail-client/mutt-conan-1.5.8-r2' not specified:
!!!            None
doebuild(): aux_get() error reading mail-client/mutt-conan-1.5.8-r2; aborting.

> to create the manifest file (so that Portage knows what files are
> associated with the ebuild, and can calculate their MD5 sums to check
> them for corruption when emerging).

I did it by hand, first time, when modified ebuild in /usr/portage

> The thing is, that ebuilds in your overlay aren't overwritten or touched
> in any way by Portage, so you don't have to keep 'redoing' the ebuild
> every time you emerge sync.

Cool, that's what i wanted. But i have to fix version in
/etc/portage/packages.mask if i want to forbid mutt being upgraded, have i?

> If the ebuild in Portage hasn't changed, your modified ebuild will
> always be newer; if the ebuild in Portage has changed, it's quite likely
> that whatever patch or functionality you were waiting for has been
> merged into the main tree upstream, or backported into the ebuild, so
> you have an easy migration path back into main Portage (and of course,
> if you care enough about the application and its patchset to modify an
> ebuild and put it in your overlay, checking the ChangeLog of any updated
> ebuilds is not an onerous task).

Well, i've not synced for a while, but i think sooner or later will do.
Emm... the patch isn't going to be upstream soon if ever. I asked for some
behaviour in mutt-user mailing list and someone give me this patch. Now i'm
asking there to put it in the core, but that could not happen.

> So that's the userland solution, but yes, if you want the patch included
> in Portage (which is likely to happen anyway, if it's a patch from
> upstream), the place to submit it for inclusion (preferably with the
> modified ebuild attached as well), would be bugs.gentoo.org (b.g.o).

Well, maybe i try it, the patch is so simple that even if never gets to mutt
core, i think it wouldn't do any damage to maintain it in gentoo. I can do that.

> Hope that helps answer your question.

Sure it does!

--
Fernando Canizo - http://www.lugmen.org.ar/~conan/