Hello,

Some of my servers are running with a kernel without module-support.
On these servers something has started to pull in sys-apps/kmod, which when
compiled complains about missing modules-support in the kernel (as it should).
Doing an "equery d sys-apps/kmod" I can see that the following two packages
depends on sy-apps/kmod:
sys-fs/udev-197-r8 (kmod ? >=sys-apps/kmod-12)
virtual/modutils-0 (sys-apps/kmod[tools])

sys-fs/udev has "-kmod" in its USE-flags, so that should not be an issue).
# emerge --verbose --pretend sys-fs/udev
[ebuild   R    ] sys-fs/udev-197-r8  USE="acl openrc -doc -gudev -hwdb
-introspection -keymap -kmod (-selinux) -static-libs" 0 kB

With virtual/modutils its an other thing, here we have a circular dependency
between virtual/modutils and sys-apps/kmod if the tools USE-flag is set.

So trying to resolve this a unmreged  virtual/modutils and sys-apps/kmod and
tried the following:

# USE="-tools" emerge --update --deep --verbose --reinstall changed-use
--with-bdeps y world --pretend --tree

These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  N     ] virtual/modutils-0  0 kB
[ebuild  N     ]  sys-apps/modutils-2.4.27-r1  230 kB

Total: 2 packages (2 new), Size of downloads: 230 kB

# equery d sys-apps/modutils
 * These packages depend on sys-apps/modutils:

# equery d virtual/modutils
 * These packages depend on virtual/modutils:

Can someone explain to me why these two are getting re-emerged (nothing seems
to depend on them and I have previously unmerged them)?

Regards,
--
Dan Johansson, <http://www.dmj.nu>
This message is printed on 100% recycled electrons!