On 04/01/2013 03:26 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 01:44:18PM -0500, Dale wrote:
>> Nuno J. Silva (aka njsg) wrote:

>>> And, at least now, I have got enough knowledge to know whether it
>>> affects me or not. But the sad thing is that I got most of that
>>> knowledge *after* the first of these versions without the old script was
>>> stabilized.
>>>

>> I switched to eudev when the separate /usr thing popped up.  While I am
>> watching this thread and sort of taking mental notes, I'm hoping this is
>> not a eudev thing, even in the future.
>
> You know that both udev and eudev have exactly the same issue with
> separate /usr right?
>
> The problem there isn't in the udev code, but it has to do with what is
> happening in rules that other packages install.

As I recall, the problem is where the ebuild choses to install the code.
Putting the udev code under /usr forces the issue on systems where it
would otherwise not be an issue.

Putting the udev code under / avoids that issue, but opens up the system
to the "silently fail" thing upstream liked to use as the basis of
"separate /usr is broken"

So, there are three conceivable configurations (initramfs notwithstanding):

1. With systems which don't require /usr binaries before /usr would be
mounted, separate /usr is not a problem.

2. With systems which require /usr binaries for some features before
/usr would be mounted, those features will silently fail.

3. With systems which require /usr binaries to mount /usr, all hell
breaks loose.

Putting the udev code under /usr moves all udev systems from group 2
into group 3. In a sense, this fixes those systems because the admin is
forced to address the silent failures he was previously unaware of. It
also means pissing off a bunch of people who had features silently
failing...but they probably didn't know or care about those features in
the first place.

It also moves all systems from group 1 into group 3...which is simply wrong.

So long as eudev keeps its install path at / instead of /usr, admins in
group 1 will probably be perfectly happy.