On Thu, Apr 04, 2013 at 05:05:06PM +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote
> On Thu, 04 Apr 2013 09:07:00 -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:
>
> > Or, as an alternative, *how* to switch to eudev (their web page does
> > *not* have simple/precise instructions on how to switch, only a
> > description of what it is) - ie, do I just emerge -C udev && emerge -C
> > virtual/udev && emerge eudev? Or is there more to it?
>
> quickpkg udev && emerge -Ca udev && emerge -1a eudev

  A bit more detail... *WARNING* do the following in sequence, quickly,
and do *NOT* reboot until after step 7)

1) Optional fallback... quickpkg udev
2) Keyword sys-fs/eudev/eudev-1_beta2-r2 (~x86 or ~amd64 or whatever is
correct for your machine)
3) Remove udev... emerge -Ca udev
4) Install eudev... emerge -1a eudev

NOTE; eudev is a drop-in replacement for udev, and generates the same
file names.  With that in mind, the next 2 items make sense...

5) Stop the old udev demon and start the new one with the command...
   /etc/init.d/udev --nodeps restart
6) Do *NOT* remove virtual/udev and do *NOT* remove the udev service
with rc-update

7) Follow any additional instructions you may get as ewarn messages or
in /var/log/portage/elog

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>