On Sun, Apr 07, 2013 at 05:00:17PM +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2013-04-07, Tanstaafl <tansta...@libertytrek.org> wrote:

> >> But not actually empty. If you are correct, and I suspect you are, then
> >> the news item is poorly worded. No effective content is not the same as
> >> no content at all.
> >
> > Oh, I agree that it was poorly worded, I was just pointing out that it
> > was kind of silly to take quite it so literally...
>
> OK, so parts of the news item are not to be taken literally, and other
> parts are.  Perhaps it would be wise to mark the sections so we can
> tell the difference?  ;)
>
> > Every sysadmin knows (or should know) that a config file full of
> > nothing but comments isn't going to do *anything* other than provide
> > whatever defaults the program is designed to use in such a case.
>
> It's entirely possible for udev (or any other program) to check
> whether a file is empty or not and behave differently depending on
> that test.  And if it is explicitly stated that something depends on a
> file being "empty", that's what I assume was indended.  Of course it's
> possible to determine via experimentation that "nothing but comments"
> produces the same behavior as "empty".  Of course we all figured that
> out after we realized that udev wasn't behaving as was described in
> the news entry and started reading other documentation.

I'll give you all one more to chew on ... this LAN has 5 comps running udev,
upgraded from 171 > 197 > 200, and NONE of them EVER has this mysterious
/etc/udev/rules.d/80-net-name-slot.rules file. If it was there sometime during
these upgrades, and was removed, it was automatically removed and not manually
by me using rm to do so.
--
Happy Penguin Computers               >')
126 Fenco Drive                       ( \