On 04/15/2013 02:08 PM, Tanstaafl wrote:
> On 2013-04-15 2:03 PM, Tanstaafl <tansta...@libertytrek.org> wrote:
>>
>> Ok, I think all I need to get our db back up is to remerge php, but it
>> is failing.
>>
>> The last error appears to be the zlib check.
>>
>> I did already try
>>
>> emerge -1 sys-libs/zlib
>>
>> and retrying to emerge php, but got the same error:
>
> Ok, added -zlib to package.mask and it is compiling now... I just don't
> know if I need zlib support for our DB app... <sigh>
>
> If this doesn't work I'll try your suggestion of:
>
>> Were this one of my systems (none of which is in a prod scenario, so
>> take it with a grain of salt), I'd emerge -e --keep-going @system, and
>> then emerge --resume a few times. You're stuck in something not unlike a
>> bootstrap scenario.
>
> Thanks a lot Michael... first time anything like this has happened to me
> in a long time. I forgot what it is like to have users (and bosses)
> breathing down my neck like this...

That system is going to require a great deal of cleanup and maintenance
to get fully reliable again. Once everything's been rebuilt, you should
be able to have zlib back, etc. It'll just take a while to to clean up.

I repeat my suggestion that you set up an alternate server and aim to
migrate to that. It's amazing what you can do with failover,
replication, etc....