On 04/15/2013 02:54 PM, Tanstaafl wrote:
> On 2013-04-15 2:02 PM, Michael Mol <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Were this one of my systems (none of which is in a prod scenario, so
>> take it with a grain of salt), I'd emerge -e --keep-going @system, and
>> then emerge --resume a few times. You're stuck in something not unlike a
>> bootstrap scenario.
>
> Ok, before I start...
>
> Michael, if this were you, would you use the 32bit or 64bit kernel when
> doing the emerge -e --keep-going system?
>
> Again, the system was initially rolled out and was always 32 bit...

If this were me, I would set up a clean install from scratch. No, I
wouldn't use a x86 userspace with a x64 kernel, but that's because of
the benefits I see with the 64-bit arch, not with any issues I'd be
aware of from using an x64 kernel with an x32 userspace.

To me, that's the fastest way to get a system I'd deem reliable. But
it's a lot faster to do with distros other than Gentoo, and rather
requires having an up-to-date install script if you intend to do it with
Gentoo...

You're in an ugly scenario, though, because you don't have the benefit
of a spare environment to produce a prod setup within.

You've mentioned you couldn't get the system to run at all with a 32-bit
kernel on the new hardware. Fair enough. I wouldn't dare try changing
the system from a 32-bit CHOST to a 64-bit CHOST, though; I've never
walked that path before, even if there are those who have. It's
certainly not something I'd do on a should-be-live prod system.

In your position, if I had to use the existing system without a
from-scratch build/install, I would continue with the 32-bit userland
and 64-bit kernel. To me, that's the least risky of the alternatives,
given the constraints involved.

To be clear, that's also a last resort...I would lobby *hard* to do a
clean from-scratch setup in a different VM before treading that path
(even when I do major upgrades of rosettacode.org, I go through a brief
period where I have two VMs as I migrate services from one to the
other), and my keyboard might well not survive the impacts of my hands
while I typed out commands to do it any other way; I'm very hard on
keyboards when very angry.