On 2013-04-15 2:02 PM, Michael Mol <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:
Were this one of my systems (none of which is in a prod scenario, so
take it with a grain of salt), I'd emerge -e --keep-going @system, and
then emerge --resume a few times. You're stuck in something not unlike a
bootstrap scenario.

Ok, well, the DB was down, and I had the data backed up, so last resort, I switched back to the 32bit kernel, rebooted, and started the first emerge -e --keep-going @system, and left for home to continue working on it from there...

It was done by the time I got home (about 25 minute drive), so didn't take nearly as long as I had feared - mostly because about 28 packages - most of them the ones that take a really long time (like glib, glibc and gcc) died almost immediately...

After the first one completed, I did emerge --resume until everything was emerged.

Then I started it all over again, and this time, *everything* recompiled successfully!

But, apache still wouldn't start up. The error was PHP related, so, I rebuilt that with emerge -vu (with 5.4 masked so it would pull in the latest update to 5.3 since emerging -vuk (reinstalling the quickpkg'd masked version) didn't work - and this time PHP successfully updated, and presto, everything is now working as expected!

I'm still planning on finishing up the new server (had already started on it) and migrating the DB to it, but now the pressure is off.

So, massive thanks! to Michael for the suggestion (had heard of totally rebuilding the entire system using -e and --keep-going, but never done it)... and of course, gentoo is amazing.

Charles