> Hi Dave --  thanks for the response.  I'm not sure I understand it all,
> but I understand enough to get me started and do some testing.  One
> question however, when you say to build pixie manually, what do you mean
> by building it manually?  Is that different from
>
> emerge pixie

Yeah.  Basically you do the following:

1. get the tarball either from the home site or /usr/portage/distfiles to
your home directory.  Usually if I'm going to do a manual build I grab the
latest stable distribution from the home site.
2. extract the tarball then cd into the directory.
3. Run the configure script, but you have two options: a) use "./configure
--prefix=/usr" to replace the pixie that portage emerged or b) use
"./configure --prefix=/usr/local" to get a clean local copy.
4. Build using the make command.
5. At this point you can test in the local directory to see if it works.
6. If you're happy with the build, su then "make install".