On 24/04/2013 11:27, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 10:50:11 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
>
>> Then I want to tell the system how much storage I want for what purpose.
>> If Joe Blow is to get 20G of storage for his ~, I want to tell the
>> system there is a thing called joeb and it has a hard quota of 20G. The
>> software must then go and do all the magic, because I am tired of doing
>> the magic myself.
>
> It's a shame there appears to be no equivalent of a soft quota in ZFS.
> Maybe it is the use of the term quota that is misleading, when in reality
> it is more akin to volume size.

"quota" is this context is indeed a misleading term.

Volume size so far fits my needs just fine, but that's because I've
never needed quotas as such. I find quotas too inflexible anyway, it's a
case of forcing a simplistic hardware rule into the human space and that
never really solves the problem properly.

The problem quotas try to solve is "don't let users use more than their
fair share of stuff; all the kids must play nicely on the playground"

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com