Dale wrote:
> J. Roeleveld wrote:
>> Dale. My thoughts: enable the 'multislot' useflag for gcc. Portage is
>> seeing all three as being in the same slot... -- Joost
> Now that started something there.  Nifty.
>
> root@fireball / # emerge -uvaDN world

> Calculating dependencies... done!
> [ebuild     U  ] app-misc/tmux-1.8 [1.6] USE="-vim-syntax" 0 kB
> [ebuild   R    ] sys-devel/gcc-4.6.3:4.6  USE="cxx fortran gtk mudflap
> (multilib) multislot* nls nptl openmp (-altivec) -doc (-fixed-point)
> -gcj -graphite (-hardened) (-libssp) -nopie -nossp -objc -objc++
> -objc-gc {-test} -vanilla" 24 kB
> [ebuild   R    ] sys-devel/gcc-4.5.4:4.5  USE="cxx* fortran* gtk mudflap
> (multilib) multislot* nls nptl openmp (-altivec) -doc (-fixed-point)
> -gcj (-hardened) (-libssp) -lto -nopie -nossp -objc -objc++ -objc-gc
> {-test} -vanilla" 0 kB
> [ebuild   R    ] sys-devel/gcc-4.4.7:4.4  USE="cxx* fortran* gtk mudflap
> (multilib) multislot* nls nptl openmp (-altivec) -doc (-fixed-point)
> -gcj (-hardened) (-libssp) -nopie -nossp -objc -objc++ -objc-gc {-test}
> -vanilla (-graphite%)" 0 kB
>
> Total: 4 packages (1 upgrade, 3 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 24 kB
>
> Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No]
>

> To get to that point, I had to add the USE flag you mentioned and then I
> got more understandable errors.  I had to make the following change to
> my package.use file:
>
> sys-devel/gcc multislot cxx fortran
> media-libs/flac cxx
>
> The multislot addition then told me to add cxx and fortran.  Then that
> lead to the one for flac.  I'm going to add that to make.conf and just
> see what changes.  I TRY to keep my USE flags in make.conf when I can.
>
> Since this is plan text and I can't type it bigger like if it was html.
> THANK YOU !!!!
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

Well, after waiting for it to finish, I get this now:

root@fireball / # genlop -c

 Currently merging 4 out of 4

 * sys-devel/gcc-4.4.7

       current merge time: 6 minutes and 57 seconds.
       ETA: 17 minutes and 2 seconds.

 Currently merging 4 out of 4

 * sys-devel/gcc-4.4.7

       current merge time: 6 minutes and 58 seconds.
       ETA: 17 minutes and 1 second.
root@fireball / #

So there it is compiling the same package version twice, again.  Going
to kill it since it will sit there and compile for hours if I don't.  I
also found out I am not the only one having issues doing a ctrl c to
stop emerge too.  They need some Raid on that problem.

Open to new ideas.

Dale

:-)  :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how
you interpreted my words!