i have got the same problem while installing the nvidia-kernel within
portage tree on my 2.6.12-5 kernel.

i solved it by commenting the line
---> Load "glx"
in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

i recommend downloading the latest driver xxx.run from nvidia.com and
compile a module for your kernel. it worked for me, just for your
reference. ;-)