So I emerged QEMU, which pulled in some dependancies.  Things are not
going well...

1) The following warning shows up in elog...

> WARN: pretend
> You have decided to compile your own SeaBIOS. This is not supported
> by upstream unless you use their recommended toolchain (which you are
> not).  If you are intending to use this build with QEMU, realize you
> will not receive any support if you have compiled your own SeaBIOS.
> Virtual machines subtly fail based on changes in SeaBIOS.

  I don't see any USE flags about this.

2) I download a Gentoo install ISO, and create a 7 gig raw file sda.raw,
and start qemu-kvm

$ qemu-kvm -hda sda.raw -cdrom installx86.iso -boot d
Could not access KVM kernel module: Permission denied
failed to initialize KVM: Permission denied

but... but... but... I am a member of group "kvm".

3) su to root and retry to start QEMU

# qemu-kvm -hda sda.raw -cdrom installx86.iso -boot d
qemu-system-x86_64: pci_add_option_rom: failed to find romfile "pxe-e1000.rom"
VNC server running on `127.0.0.1:5900'

So root has sufficient permission, but there's a problem with the BIOS,
possibly related to item 1) above

Note; I can run as regular user, either of the 2 commands...
$ qemu-system-i386 -hda sda.raw -cdrom installx86.iso -boot d
$ qemu-system-x86_64 -hda sda.raw -cdrom installx86.iso -boot d
This doesn't run into permission problem 2), but still runs into the
rom not found problem 3).

4) At least VNC is running.  I emerged tigervnc and tried it

$ vncviewer

TigerVNC Viewer 64-bit v1.2.0 (20130723)
Built on Jul 23 2013 at 21:36:16
Copyright (C) 1999-2011 TigerVNC Team and many others (see README.txt)
See http://www.tigervnc.org for information on TigerVNC.
X_ChangeGC: BadFont (invalid Font parameter) 0x0

...and the dialog box is all blanks, presumably because of the missing
fonts.

  I had QEMU working a few years ago, and I don't remember running into
all these problems.  What gives?

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>