On 24/07/2013 10:50, Walter Dnes wrote:
   So I emerged QEMU, which pulled in some dependancies.  Things are not
going well...

1) The following warning shows up in elog...

WARN: pretend
You have decided to compile your own SeaBIOS. This is not supported
by upstream unless you use their recommended toolchain (which you are
not).  If you are intending to use this build with QEMU, realize you
will not receive any support if you have compiled your own SeaBIOS.
Virtual machines subtly fail based on changes in SeaBIOS.
   I don't see any USE flags about this.
The "binary" flag is an IUSE default but you're preventing the flag from being enabled somehow.

2) I download a Gentoo install ISO, and create a 7 gig raw file sda.raw,
and start qemu-kvm

$ qemu-kvm -hda sda.raw -cdrom installx86.iso -boot d
Could not access KVM kernel module: Permission denied
failed to initialize KVM: Permission denied

but... but... but... I am a member of group "kvm".
Check that KVM support is available in the kernel (CONFIG_KVM_INTEL or CONFIG_KVM_AMD as appropriate). Another thing to bear in mind is that older kernels are unable to load the module on an on-demand basis. I can't remember exactly in which version they changed that. You should end up with the following device node:

# ls -l /dev/kvm
crw-rw---- 1 root kvm 10, 232 Dec  2  2012 /dev/kvm

3) su to root and retry to start QEMU

# qemu-kvm -hda sda.raw -cdrom installx86.iso -boot d
qemu-system-x86_64: pci_add_option_rom: failed to find romfile "pxe-e1000.rom"
VNC server running on `127.0.0.1:5900'

So root has sufficient permission, but there's a problem with the BIOS,
possibly related to item 1) above

Note; I can run as regular user, either of the 2 commands...
$ qemu-system-i386 -hda sda.raw -cdrom installx86.iso -boot d
$ qemu-system-x86_64 -hda sda.raw -cdrom installx86.iso -boot d
This doesn't run into permission problem 2), but still runs into the
rom not found problem 3).

4) At least VNC is running.  I emerged tigervnc and tried it

$ vncviewer

TigerVNC Viewer 64-bit v1.2.0 (20130723)
Built on Jul 23 2013 at 21:36:16
Copyright (C) 1999-2011 TigerVNC Team and many others (see README.txt)
Seehttp://www.tigervnc.org  for information on TigerVNC.
X_ChangeGC: BadFont (invalid Font parameter) 0x0

...and the dialog box is all blanks, presumably because of the missing
fonts.
VNC servers and clients vary in their capabilities rather more than they ought to. I would suggest tightvnc as I've found that to work splendidly with qemu.

--Kerin