i discover a something while examine my dmesg output.

-->Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00alpha2
-->ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
-->Probing IDE interface ide0...
-->hda: ST380817AS, ATA DISK drive
-->Probing IDE interface ide1...
-->Probing IDE interface ide2...
-->Probing IDE interface ide3... <--- there should be a cdrom detected here
-->Probing IDE interface ide4...
-->Probing IDE interface ide5...
-->ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
-->hda: max request size: 1024KiB
-->hda: 156301488 sectors (80026 MB) w/8192KiB Cache, CHS=16383/255/63
-->hda: cache flushes supported
--> hda: hda1 hda2 < hda5 hda6 hda7 hda8 hda9 hda10 hda11 hda12 hda13 >

now, maybe i can say it's a problem of detecting my driver for sure?

there have been a lot of problems around since i use a SATA hard drive,
and a common ATA cdrom, i spent a lot of time to find out the right CMOS
configuration:

P-ATA only | S-ATA only | P-ATA & S-ATA etc and some others.
i use a Native Mode, so that my disk can be recognized as /dev/hdaXX
instead of /dev/sdaXX. and P-ATA only but with S-ATA enabled.

is there any advice on how to config such stuff correctly?
WindowsXP works with them just perfectly, and it's ok on my gentoo box
before the udev comes out maybe. i remember...

many thanks
daniel