On 17/08/2013 18:04, Andrew Lowe wrote:
> On 08/17/13 23:16, the wrote:
>>
>> On 08/17/13 18:14, Andrew Lowe wrote:
>>> Hi all, I just did an "emerge world" and now my vlc interface has
>>> gone feral. Previously a double click on a video would bring up one
>>> window with the video in the centre and the controls surrounding
>>> it, play, stop, progress bar etc. Now when it starts up, I get two
>>> windows, one that contains the controls and a black rectangle with
>>> the vlc witch's hat in the middle and another with the video
>>> playing. I've tried all sorts of options but can't seem to find the
>>> right combo - I probably can't see the wood for the trees after
>>> playing around with it so much. Does anyone have any idea what the
>>> config option is so I can bring things back to how they were?
>>
>> VLC has different display modes.
>> The availability of these modes is
>> determined by use flags.
>> can you please write which video modes are available?
>> (tools -> preferences -> video -> output )
>
>     According to the above I have Output set to default. The second
> window, the video window, has as its window title:
>
> VLC (hardware YUV SDL output)
>
> My desktop environment is KDE 4. When doing the emerge world, I got a
> segmentation fault during the build. Some googling revealed the
> following forum topic:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/lgo9r7x
>
> I read the comment from alex46 @ 8:36pm, 14/6/2013 and rebuilt VLC with
> those USE flags. That is when the problem appeared. Silly me, I didn't
> notice that this was a two page topic and I had only read the first
> page. I'm now going to follow the steps from the second page and see
> what happens......
>
>     Andrew

Some users are reporting build and runtime issues with vlc/amarok and a
few other bits and pieces with kde11. It's seemingly related to glib
event loop and plasma in some wonderful way that I haven't bothered
figuring out yet.

i.o.w. with current versions you may still not get it to build.
Try downgrading a few versions.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com