>>> I think the issue here is that we are not understanding what the
>>> problem is. It happens with an application in particular, or with a
>>> desktop environment? It happens when you try to umount the device, or
>>> when you disconnect it from the computer? Do you loose data in the
>>> camera, or when transferring photos to your computer? Or is only that
>>> you don't like the error reported?
>>
>> When trying to eject a USB camera in thunar in xfce4, the error
>> appears and the device does not umount.  Here is a command that also
>> produces the error:
>>
>> # udisks --detach /dev/sdb
>> Detach failed: Error detaching: helper exited with exit code 1:
>> Detaching device /dev/sdb
>> USB device: /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/usb2/2-6)
>> SYNCHRONIZE CACHE: FAILED: No such file or directory
>> (Continuing despite SYNCHRONIZE CACHE failure.)
>> STOP UNIT: FAILED: No such file or directory
>>
>>> udisks is deprecated and (AFAIK) unmaintained. Do you *really* need
>>> it? Or perhaps is being pulled by a package that actually supports
>>> udisks2, but you have a USE flag that pulls udisks1?
>>>
>>> In GNOME, if you have gvfs with the gdu USE flag, it pulls libgdu,
>>> which pulls udisks1. But you don't actually need it; everything is
>>> covered by the udisks USE flag (which pulls udisks2).
>>>
>>> Do a "equery depends udisks" and see what is pulling udisks1.
>>
>> I get the following:
>>
>> # equery depends udisks
>>  * These packages depend on udisks:
>> gnome-base/gvfs-1.12.3-r1 (udisks ? >=sys-fs/udisks-1.90:2)
>> gnome-base/libgdu-3.0.2 (=sys-fs/udisks-1.0*:0)
>>
>> # emerge -pv gvfs libgdu
>> [ebuild   R    ] gnome-base/libgdu-3.0.2  USE="-avahi -doc -gnome-keyring" 0
>> kB
>> [ebuild   R    ] gnome-base/gvfs-1.12.3-r1  USE="cdda gdu http udev
>> -afp -archive -avahi -bluetooth -bluray -doc -fuse -gnome-keyring
>> -gphoto2 -ios -samba (-udisks)" 0 kB
>                         ^^^^^^^
>
> There's your problem.
>
> thunar depends on gvfs, which can use udisks, but in your case the USE
> flag is forced, masked, or removed.

No help from B.G.O. yet and I'm wondering if I should update libgdu to
see if that fixes it.  Is libgdu the same thing as gnome-disk-utility?
 If so, the latest version is 3.9.0 compared to 3.0.2 in portage:

https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-disk-utility/

Alternatively, should I try hacking the ebuild to unmask the udisks USE flag?

- Grant