On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 23:46:02 -0400
Paul Hoy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Bob,
>
> I found your email really informative and I have a question regarding
> one of your final comments. To paraphrase, you state that doing
> things the hard way will make employees more knowledgeable, "more so
> than any certification will." So, my question is this: is it
> worthwhile to obtain certification? And, if so, which would be a
> better choice in your opinion: Red Hat certification or say, for
> instance, certification from the Linux Professional Institute?

The certification tests do require real knowledge - mainly on setting up things
like mail, ftp, drive arrays, etc - lots of "after the install items."
certainly all
requiring skill and knowledge.

Red Hat focuses on Red Hat, though many items are transferable for the motivated
individual.  LPI certification is broader, and, some say, the harder test of
the two.

Are they worth it?  Depends upon the job market.  The knowledge required to
pass the tests is certainly a large part of managing any Linux system.  But if
your
starting with a blank hard drive, then neither will get you past any problems
that
may occur during the install or with the package manager.

> Btw, I'm not sure if I have hijacked the thread. If so, please feel
> free to edit the subject line.

Hijack a hijacked thread that was originally an OT about window managers?

Bob
-