On 09/29/2013 08:17 PM, Mark David Dumlao wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 8:54 AM, Daniel Campbell <li...@sporkbox.us> wrote:
>> I'm not affected by anything regarding the /usr switch, but I'd like
>> to have a good talk with the first person who decided a
>> system-critical binary belonged in /usr instead of /bin or /sbin.
>> They've created a mess for every distro and any project that depends
>> on their work.
>
> As I've pointed out before:
> - "system-critical" is actually dependent on the system. A system dependent
>    on an smb share will find smbmount system critical. One dependent on
>    zfs-fuse will find fuse system critical. With the advent of fuse, arbitrary

It's fairly obvious (to me, anyway) that anything mounting a filesystem
and making it available is system-critical. I run samba and don't need
it for boot, but like you said, someone may need that. I wouldn't see a
problem with smbmount being in /bin. FUSE deserves similar treatment.
LVM's another that probably deserves special treatment.