On 29.09.2013 20:25, Dale wrote:
> Tanstaafl wrote:

>>> The reason is the same I have posted before.  I have / and /boot on
>>> regular partitions.  Everything else is on LVM.  I don't have / on LVM
>>> because it would require a init thingy.  I don't have /boot on LVM
>>> because grub doesn't or didn't support it.  I have since switched to
>>> grub2 so it may but still have the issue with / so no need redoing
>>> everything for that.
>>
>> Well, I don't see a *reason* to WANT to have /usr on a separate
>> partition. I see only THE reason that you have it there NOW.
>>
>> Also, logically speaking, if the stated reason for not having / (or
>> /boot) on separate LVM partitions is because it would require an init
>> thingy, then why can't you simply add /usr to that reason?
>>
>> Again, I'm asking for why you WANT it on a separate LVM partition, not
>> why it is there now.
>>
>> The way I see it, if y ou cannot provide a rational answer to that
>> question, then  there is no reason for you to use this as a reason to
>> abandon gentoo, only a reason to merge /usr into /...
>>

> Simple, I have never had to resize / or /boot before.  I have had to
> resize /usr, /var and /home several times tho.  THAT is the reason.  For
> me, it doesn't matter if it is rational to YOU or not.  I am the one
> doing things on my puter not you or anyone else.  If the init thingy
> fails, that will be me staring at a error message, not you.

I agree to 100% with you Dale. I have /usr on a separate LVM partition
(I only have, as you, / and /boot on regular partitions) to be able to
easily extend it (which I have been forced to do a few times).
And as my VG-partition starts directly after the /-partition I am not in
the position to extend / to "engulf" all the data in /usr.

--
Dan Johansson, <http://www.dmj.nu>
This message is printed on 100% recycled electrons!