Am 28.09.2013 16:04, schrieb Alan McKinnon:
> On 28/09/2013 13:32, Tanstaafl wrote:
>> On 2013-09-27 7:10 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> No really,*why exactly*?
>> Because that was the RECOMMENDED WAY IN THE GENTOO HANDBOOK when I first
>> set this system up many years ago.
> This was something almost all of us recommended way back then. Lord only
> knows why we recommeded that.

I never knew. Something about 'saver as..' or something stupid.

>  Maybe it was small drives (which  didn't
> have), maybe it was different mount options (which I never did and never
> saw anyone else do either), or maybe it was for thin clients (which I
> only ever saw in use once - Shuttleworth labs in University of Cape Town).
>
> So why did we all (and I included myself) recommend this so much? Dude,
> I have no idea, but I *think* we were cargo-culting more than any other
> single factor.
>

>> I have no philosophical reason reason to stick with it, only a (maybe
>> irrational) fear of breaking things if I attempt to merge it back into /.
>>
>> This, combined with an intense (also maybe irrational) desire to avoid
>> like the plague using an initramfs, is why this decision to FORCE me
>> into a position of possibly having to break my system (either by a filed
>> attempt at merging /usr into /, or a failed attampt at using an initramfs).
> No-one is forcing you to do anything, the news item did not say that.
>
> It says that if you do it, the devs will not support you and you are on
> your own. It also says that in the dev's opinion, the day when you can
> no longer support it either is probably not too far away
>
>> I too sincerely hope eudev bypasses this issue.
> This has nothing to do with eudev, not with udev
>
>> The main thing about this that pisses me off is the lack of enough
>> warning... one month? Really? One month to compleyelt rebuild a seerver
>> that has been running flawlessly for many years, just because someone
>> doesn't like something that has been done for many years?
>
> First, it is not one month, it is much longer. We've all been whinging
> about the issue for most of this year. Two, why do you think you need to
> rebuild the entire machine? You don't need to do that just to merge two
> filesystems.
>
> To merge two filesystems, you just merge two filesystems. You don't
> rebuild anything. You might have some downtime though

one reboot. You cp everything into /newuser. On shutdown you unmount
/usr, mv newuser usr, sync, unmount, reboot.
if you want to do it 'old fashioned', you cp everything to /newuser,
reboot with systemrescuecd, mount / on /mnt/gentoo, my newuser to usr
and reboot. Oh, and change fstab.

Simple and boring.